Thursday, November 26, 2009

How To Draw Fairy Tales

My husband is the resident artist. I can barely render a simply doodled daisy or similar images. So this post is for him because he adored books like these as a kid and still has fun thumbing through them in bookstores. And on Thanksgiving, I'm thankful he learned to draw so well since his skills help keep me housed and fed as well as provide me with a fascinating man with whom to share my life.


How to Draw Princesses and Other Fairy Tale Pictures by Barbara Soloff Levy: In just three or four steps, fairy tale fans can learn to illustrate a bevy of beautiful princesses as well as other related characters and details, such as princes, kings, queens, a Fairy Godmother, a royal coach, horses, jewelry, a dragon, a unicorn, tiaras, a hand mirror, and more. Includes helpful blank practice pages.


How to Draw Storybook Characters by Barbara Soloff Levy: Easy-to-follow directions show how to combine circles, ovals, squares, and other shapes to create such fairy tale favorites as Cinderella, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio, the Little Mermaid, and 23 other familiar figures.

And surprise, surprise, not all of these come from Dover Publications. Here are some from Usborne...


How to Draw Fairies and Mermaids: This innovative guide is packed with easy ideas for drawing fairies and mermaids. Simple, step-by-step instructions show how to create fantastical fairylands and undersea worlds.


How to Draw Princesses and Ballerinas: I haven't seen this one so I'm not sure if any are specifically fairy tale characters, but I'm sure they adapt quite easily to an artist's imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment