Thursday, April 28, 2011

New Book: Abandon by Meg Cabot




Abandon  Avalon High

A few years ago I sat on a panel at Dragon*Con discussing King Arthur and Camelot in the Young Adult track and one of the books I read to prep was Meg Cabot's Avalon High. And I enjoyed it. It had fun with the story while not being enslaved to it. To be honest, I was rather burned out on heavy, depressing Camelot stories with Guinevere usually annoying me no end, so Avalon High was refreshing. And it even got me more willing to deal with Camelot again despite the burnout. Enough so that I am actually enjoying the third season of Merlin that just finished to the point where I am eager for season four. If you only tuned in to the first season of that series, it has improved each season. The first season is the weakest, especially since the soccer player turned actor who plays Arthur has improved along with the writing although I admit it is Colin Morgan's Merlin that has hooked me. And John loves it even more than me and owns seasons one and two on DVD.

So I have to admit I am now interested in Meg Cabot's newest release Abandon. Yes, I know Cabot teeters on the "we're too cool or literary to admit we enjoy her" edge, but when I am looking for entertaining light reading, she often fits the bill just fine for me. I get rather annoyed at times by that attitude, too, especially when I am guilty of it. That's why I try to cover just about everything here but erotica which I don't touch on the blog trying this at least PG-13 around here. I say if people are actually buying books and reading, hallelujah! Even if they are borrowing books and reading, hallelujah! Fairy tales get the same kind of dismissive treatment and you in the choir here know they can be anything but light and innocuous...

And now Abandon is intriguing because it hits even closer to my own turf by being a Persephone interpretation. So it goes on the summer reading list. Don't know when, but I imagine it will happen!
Book description:

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

And here's a video:

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this as well. I love YA even though I'm 22, but I have an excuse of being an HS English teacher even though in my opinion you never need an excuse for reading. Anything myth or fairy tale related and I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete